Sunday, September 20, 2009

Half Marathon

This weekend I completed my first HALF MARATHON! I can't believe it is over - but it felt great!
In May when my sister-in-law asked me if I wanted to do this - I thought she was completely INSANE! 13.1 miles - is she crazy?!?!?! I haven't been running in 3 years, I just had a baby 3 months ago...oh - I had all kinds of excuses. Finally I decided all my excuses were very good reasons to go for it. 1. I enjoy running, but for some reason once I stop for a period of time it takes a lot for me to make it part of my regular routine again. 2. Prior to May, I had spent at least 24 of the prior 36 months pregnant. It was time to get back in shape! (Although we still have room to improve - it's a step in the right direction.) 3. I needed to set a goal for myself to work toward - why not this?

So, I said I would do it. Jayme (my sister-in-law) helped me find a good training program to follow and really helped me out when we were able to run the long runs together on some of the weekends. I thought I was in big trouble the first time we went running. We did a short 2 miles and I thought I was going to die...I didn't though and pushed through the rest of the training as well.
It was so fun to do it with someone. We could hold each other accountable to our training schedules and encourage one another when we were working through issues - injuries and what-not.

How did race day go? Well - to start out - Alayna was up much of the night before. Signs of teething - but really - did it have to be that night? Up at 5:20 to be out the door by 6ish. Start time for the race - 7am. The weather was great for running and the course was nice too. Our goal was - to finish - with a secondary goal of about 10 min miles. We ended up averaging 9min 29sec miles and finished in under 2 hrs and 5 mins. It felt great and I loved when we saw our families cheering on the sidewalk! It was the push I needed to keep on going!
A lot of people helped me accomplish this goal...

Jayme - thanks for talking me into it in the first place and helping me through the long runs
Esther and Jayme - thanks for running with me and talking the whole race!
Brian - for helping me find the time to train - without the kids, for your encouragement and getting the kids and yourself to all the cheering points along the race. How much work is it to get two young kids in and out of the carseats for 5 different cheering spots in 2 hrs time?
Grant & Alayna - for the "Way to Go Mommy" sign
Mom, Sheila, Ryan, Mark & Bethany - for coming to cheer us on! I know it was a really early day!

Mom & Dad and Lowell & Rita for helping watch the kids while I ran when Brian was out of town, etc
And everyone for the encouraging words and good luck wishes.

Around mile 4
Right after the finish
The medal we got for finishing

I think I may be addicted. It would be great to do it again! Next year perhaps? Who wants to do it with me!?!?!?!?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Shana!! But, really, addicted to running 13.1 miles?? Seriously? You make my sorry self look pathetic! Congrats. Katie

Kooyenga Family said...

Way to go Shana! You are amazing (and crazy for asking to do it with you)! Hee hee!

Way to go! I'd be glad to cheer you on next time or babysit!

Tami Kersten said...

You're such an inspiration! Congratulations on reaching this goal, as well as having such amazing support in the journey. You've been truely blessed with such an amazing family and group of friends.

Cheering you on from across the miles...
~Tami~