Friday, July 23, 2010

Grant's Weight


Two weeks ago we went in for a weight check at Children's for Grant. He's now up to 24lbs 11 oz and 34 inches. This puts him at 10 percentile on the height to weight charts - but I believe if you were to look at his age chart alone - he's not on it. At this point - we take what we can get. The dr told us at this rate he will grow to be about 5'6" as opposed to the 5'8 3/4" he should be genetically. Not a height I was thrilled to hear, but it's better than the 5'4" they told us last time.

The doctor saw him gain enough that we at least can stop going to check ups at Children's now. We simply will be watching his weight via our pediatrician at his appointments.

Eating time is still pretty frustrating for us. I feel like we are still always reminding Grant that he is in fact eating a meal and has to pay attention to what he is doing. "Take a bite", "remember what we do at the table", "eat your lunch"...I'm so tired of saying these things. It's really exhausting. And I know how un-fun (a word?) it is for me - imagine how Grant is feeling? He's probably thinking - "my mom is such a nag" - and he's not even in high school yet!

The doctor said it was important that we continue on with the Carnation Instant Breakfast (CIB) with whole milk and continue on with the high calorie diet. When he mentioned using the (CIB) in his milk for the next 2-4 years I couldn't believe it - but whatever! If that's going to keep him growing - I'll keep mixing the "medicine" (as Grant calls it) in his milk.

Ah yes - Grant surely notices if the "medicine" is or is not in his milk. He asks for it to be in there. Who wouldn't? Plain whole milk or a french vanilla flavored milk shake? Hmmmm...tough call!

This is a struggle for us - so please keep it in your prayers. I do however know and am VERY thankful for the fact that this "issue" could be much, much worse. We are SO thankful it is not.

No comments: